Sunday 10 March 2013

Trip Report: Arnold Classic 2013 - day 1

There were a few things that discouraged me in going to the Arnold Classic. First, the flying time to reach Columbus, Ohio was more than 24 hours. As I will be spending my own money for this trip, flying business class is not an option. So I had to really think hard on how to be able to get through those 24 hours in coach.  Second, the weather report shows near freezing temperatures in Columbus. All my winter clothing had been donated long ago as I have no use for them in this hot and humid country. So that means I need to shop of winter wear once again.

Fortunately, these factors did not hinder me from making the trip to the 25th Anniversary of the Arnold Classic. I arrived a week before the event, and it was a good decision as it took about a couple of days for me to get over the jet lag.  I don't know how Dondon Cortuna and Kevin Gan survived last year's contest flying just a few days before the competition.

I stayed with the only Filipino athlete in the Arnold Classic, Rowena Marcaida Walters, for the whole duration of my stay in the US. It was here where I experience her early morning (4.30am!!!) cardio and gym training with her coach Gib Osbert Ang. 

Ok. Let's fast forward to the first day of the event, Thursday February 28. The weigh-in for the athletes and time for me to collect my Media pass courtesy of Maximum Muscle Magazine. We went to Veterans Memorial, and saw hundreds of athletes waiting to be weighed in, undoubtedly being on a no carb diet days before. It was a long queue, but the security made sure every thing was moving, barking orders that only athletes are allowed in the area. Meron talagang pasaway kahit saan ka man pumunta!



When I reached the place, very helpful staff  provided me with my Media pass for the pump room. I was about to leave when I remembered that Matt Lorz, our main contact for the media accreditation, told me to look for him in case I might get upgraded to  Media Pit. Well it turns out, that he is there. He asked for my details, and said "yes you are at the top of the waiting list". Then there was a short pause, and I wait, and the silence was uninterrupted, and I wait. He then instructs his staff to make another pass for me. He told me that one of the German photographers called in sick, so I could have his place. I can't believe my luck. I was grateful and thanked him and his staff for the new pass. 



Now I circled back to the pump room, which for the time being is where the weigh in is supposed to happen. They had 3 counters setup on the 3 sides of the room. One for the physique, where they weigh you and get your height. One for the bodybuilding for men and women. And the last one for bikini, fitness and bodyfitness. In the center of the room are some weight equipment used by athletes to pump their muscles before going on stage.



It is here that I waited for Weng to finish her weigh in. During that time, lo and behold, IFBB Pro Dennis James found us.

to be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Hi MusclePinoy, thanks for sharing. I need an advice from you. I have heard that body building supplements may put adverse effect on body. Is it true?

    ReplyDelete